Ground Takers E.D.G.E. (Encouraging Disciples to Go Evangelize)
Two years ago the congregation of Trinity Baptist Church responded to Keith’s challenge presented in the Taking New Ground sermon series: “We want to take new ground as individuals…we want to take new ground as a congregation…so that we make a bigger impact on this city for the cause of Christ.”
Last year, during the Extraordinary: A Study of the Book of Nehemiah sermon series, Keith further clarified this calling and upped the stakes: “The honor of God is under attack…God is looking for people who are extraordinary…He is looking for ordinary people like you and me to step up and fill the gap…To be an extraordinary person, your heart has to break for those things that break God’s heart, and the first priority of action has to be getting down on your knees to pray…God delights in ordinary people who are willing to risk everything to accomplish extraordinary things…God wants us to be a congregation who is not going to settle for average or status quo.”
In this year’s All Roads Lead to Romans sermon series Keith continues to challenge us, pointing to Romans 12:1: “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” As a church body, we need to move from theology to application. Once we have come to that place where we truly recognize the mercy of God in our life and we are so grateful for all that He has done, we are in a place where we can offer our body, our life, our will to Him.
Given this context, we are encouraging the congregation of Trinity Baptist Church to live out our mission of growing in faith, obedience, and joy by embarking on a 6-week journey together where we walk, pray, fast and (hopefully) evangelize for and in our city, communities
- WHAT: Extraordinary Ground Takers E.D.G.E. is a call to actively engage in fervent prayer, fasting and evangelism IN and FOR our city.
- WHO: Anyone who wants to see God do amazing things in our city.
- WHEN: Sign-ups: July 10, 17 & 24 Kickoff: July 24 Culmination: September 4
- WHERE: Our goal is to blanket over 2000 blocks of NYC in prayer! Specifically, we ask individuals to select and commit to walk and pray in areas where they work, go to school, live and interact.
- HOW: There are four ways to get involved:
(1) WALK – Ground Takers: Select an area and commit to walking and praying in/over/for this area each week from July 24 to September 4.
(2) PRAY – Prayer Warriors: Serve as an intercessor and commit to weekly prayer OVER and FOR each ‘Ground Taker’.
(3) FAST – Fast Track: Sign up to fast for a 24-hour period (creating a church-wide fast) and use this time to grow closer to God, lift up our church, and send a clear message to the adversary that we will not be swayed in our calling to be extraordinary.
(4) EVANGELIZE – Armed with insights from this summer’s sermon series (Share: What’s Your Story?), we will prayerfully apply what we’ve learned and share our faith when the Lord gives us opportunity.